Sonic Screwdriver -->

Saturday 8 November 2014

S8E12: "Death in Heaven"


Well that tied up a lot of loose ends.

#Disclaimer:
I write under the assumption that you've seen the episode if you go past the page-break, which is only visible if you're on the home-page of the blog. Any other way, you must have clicked directly here, in which case, there is your error. As always, I do not give a synopsis, I give a critical reaction.

No bingo, but still a lot of red.
I just finished watching, and as I said to a friend (actually the friend that got me in to Doctor Who originally) and said, "I cannot even nor odd" as my reaction.

And it is pretty much true.

The episode was emotionally charged, as it should be. 

Let's talk about that ending. The episode paid tribute to so many characters, as the premise allowed, with the actions of the Brigadier being the most poignant, for me. It hearkened back as far as Troughton with Missy's "oh my giddy aunt." Matt Smith appeared on screen. At then very end, I was actually considering the very possible option that this was not a season finale, but a series finale. Which would have been terrifying. Of course, it was not so when Santa Claus came on, but let that go.

This was the best series finale since "End of Time" and the fact that the Master/Mistress was the antagonist of both episodes probably is no coincidence. The character is a powerful one and when played as absolutely insane with the talent of John Simms and Michele Gomez is enough to give chills. I have to say that the fact that the Master/Mistress has been deleted is a bit displeasing, though. I do not doubt that s/he will find a way back if the showrunner so desires.

This entire season/series has been a one with controversial issues at its heart. It started out with the lesbian interspecies kiss, and that was just the tip of the proverbial iceberg. The two-part finale makes huge assertions about what happens after we die, which, understandably, upset the religious. This is what sci-fi is supposed to do -- it is meant to challenge the norms. This time, it lands.

Clara also took quite a stand in this episode. Her feminine side was prominent, in her love for Danny, but her strong-woman-who-don't-need-no-man attitude was extremely present in her claiming that she was the Doctor and operating under that premise for so long. And was it me or were her eyes in place of Capaldi's in the opening sequence?

This episode was all-over fantastic. I can't wait for Christmas--the teaser for which can be found here. It looks delightfully creepy.

Like What You See?

Join Us On:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind while commenting. Vile comments will be removed upon their discovery.