Sonic Screwdriver -->

Monday 3 March 2014

Introducing Danny Pink


As a more-than-avid fan, I am signed up to receive updates with the BBC concerning Doctor Who. In an email today, some very interesting news has been releases, primarily the announcement that there will be a new reoccurring character in the Twelfth Doctor's first series (slated to start in August)

Anderson as Danny Pink
The character, as you might have inferred from the title of this post, is named Danny Pink. He is played by Samuel Anderson, whose past works include The History Boys, Gavin and Stacey, and Emmerdale. What the BBC has released in this matter is that Danny is a colleague of Clara's at Coal Hill School. Regarding starting work on the show he says:
I was so excited to join Doctor Who I wanted to jump and click my heels, but I was scared I might not come down before filming started! [...] It's a quintessential part of British culture and I can't believe I'm part of it. It's an honour to be able to work alongside Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman and I can't wait to show people how my character becomes involved with such a fantastic duo.

Now, steering away from the facts.

Last autumn, commotion in the fandom came about when the programme was called racist. I find it interesting that they have now cast a black actor in a new role. That is all I have to say about that at the present time.

If you've seen some of my other writings, you may know that I am not a fan of how Moffat made the transition (or lack thereof) into the Eleventh Doctor. The "mistakes" he made coloured my entire opinion of the 11 because so much about the show changed with the end of David's run and the start of Matt's, and also with the change of showrunner, all at the same time. With the change to Twelve, there is no change in showrunner (although I really want one soon) and we are, as far as we know, keeping Clara (also to the dismay of many). Introducing a new companion with a new Doctor didn't work last time (I did love the Ponds, nothing on them), and I can only hope that it is played better this time. We do know that filming has already started, but since Doctor Who is not filmed in a linear progression (i.e., episode 4 may be filmed before episode 2) I just can't say with any certainty that Danny will or will not make an appearance in the TARDIS in the first Capaldi episode--or, may he not be on Team TARDIS at all?

Like What You See?

Join Us On:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind while commenting. Vile comments will be removed upon their discovery.