Sonic Screwdriver -->

Wednesday 17 April 2013

"Dalek"

Original Air Date: 30 April 2005

It is about 10 minutes in that, if you listen close enough, you see how much self-loating the Doctor has for himself at this point.

DALEK: I am alone in the universe.
DOCTOR: Yep.
DALEK: So are you. We are the same.
DOCTOR: We're not the same! I'm not (pause) No, wait. Maybe we are. You're right. Yeah, okay. You've got a point. 'Cause I know what to do. I know what should happen. I know what you deserve. Exterminate.
The Dalek say that it and the Doctor are the same. At first, the Doctor denies it, then realizes that he can channel the hate of himself into the destruction of what he believes to be the last Dalek. He agrees that they are the same: they both deserve death because of what they have done.

Then, moments later Goddard and van Statten ask about the Last Great Time War and asks to clarify if the Doctor is the last of his kind. He said he survived, but not by choice. He says that he would have rather died than survived.

No! Rose don't touch it! Aww, Rose....

What are you gonna do? Sucker me to death? Yep. That's exactly it!

Ohh crap, it's a flyin' dalek.

Back to the Doctor's survivor's guilt we go.
DALEK: Then I shall follow the Primary Order, the Dalek instinct to destroy, to conquer.
DOCTOR: What for? What's the point? Don't you see it's all gone? Everything you were, everything you stood for.
DALEK: Then what should I do?
DOCTOR: All right, then. If you want orders, follow this one. Kill yourself.
Suicide. That is his advice to the Dalek. That since it has destroyed so much, since everything it was and everything it stood for is gone, that because it is all gone, it should kill itself. The Doctor, though, has Rose. Rose and all of humanity is the one thing the Doctor has left at this point.

Don't you just love it when Daleks have existential crises?

I love the song they play at the end. I know it's somewhere on my DW Spotify playlist but I cant find it...

Doctor...what are you doing standing inside a box?